The biggest challenge facing today’s leaders is…finding the strength, and the will, to lead through vulnerability, which draws people in, and makes us easy to follow.
Things that make me smile include…endorphins. (Just Kidding!) My grandkids, who take great joy in finding ways that they can “trick” me, my amazing, thoughtful husband (smiling as I think of him), my three step-children, who’ve given me those grandkids, and travel. I love traveling for pleasure with my husband, especially to Hawaii, and home to New Orleans, and I even enjoy traveling for work, as it always brings me new perspectives, and monochrome hotel rooms offer the chance to let my creative juices flow.
When I’m not working, I’m… likely swimming, cooking, or volunteering, serving on the Boards of Leadership Howard County, Neighbor Ride, a non-profit senior transportation service, and the Rotary Club of Columbia-Patuxent.
What matters to me…learning, connecting with people, finding new ways to be of service, and keeping my creative side satisfied, without wreaking too much havoc for others.
Leadership and Team Coach
Laurie works with individuals and teams using a fresh, dynamic, brain-friendly approach to growth and development. Using evidence-based research – quantitative and qualitative data that yields real, actionable information – Laurie has helped numerous organizations make far more effective decisions. Her appreciative approach capitalizes on combining individual and organizational strengths, resulting in distinct actions that are not only uniquely suited to the needs of individual clients, but also have a higher probability for success.
Laurie’s key areas of expertise are in:
- organization development
- executive coaching from a neuroscience perspective
- change and conflict management
- emotional intelligence
- action and organizational learning
- strengths-based leadership assessment and development
- appreciative inquiry
She works with leaders at all levels to assess their organizational challenges and capabilities, and then designs the programs and tools necessary for success. Laurie believes that each of us has, within us, everything we need to succeed, and her job is to help individuals and teams get through the noise in our lives to unearth that success.
Laurie has over 20 years of hands-on leadership experience, consulting and coaching in professional services firms, corporations, government agencies, non-profit organizations, institutes of higher learning, and professional associations. Her stance on leadership is that it is, first and foremost, a practice. There are always new skills to develop, existing skills to hone, and the most effective way to either of those is through the conscious use of practicing them.
Laurie is a Past President of the Chesapeake Bay OD Network, and a member of the International Association of Facilitators, the NeuroLeadership Institute, and the International Coach Federation.
Recent clients: Verizon Wireless, Department of Homeland Security, Federal Reserve Board, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Arlington County, VA Government, United Way Worldwide, Sandy Spring Bank, University of Maryland and Catholic University of America, along with numerous local United Way agencies, and the Community Action Council of Howard County.
Training and Certifications
- Professional Certified Coach (PCC) – International Coach Federation
- Results Professional Certified Coach – NeuroLeadership Institute
- Certified Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI®) Practitioner – CPP
- Certified Emotional Intelligence (EQi and EQ-360) Practitioner – Multi Health Systems
- Team Coaching Certification, Team Coaching International
- Strengths Deployment Inventory (SDI), Personal Strengths Publishing
- Leadership Circle 360 and Leadership Culture Certification, The Leadership Circle
- Certified Professional Facilitator (CPF), International Association of Facilitators
- Certified Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator, AIPT
- Coming in 2015: Certified Structural Dynamics Practitioner, The Kantor Institute
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology (cum laude), University of Maryland Baltimore County
- Master of Science in Organization Development, Johns Hopkins University